Each year, Hunger Action Month offers an opportunity for community to come together to address food insecurity in the cities and towns where we live, work, and play.
Our neighbors need your help to set the table. Donate today for groceries, meals, and more tomorrow. THANK YOU!
See below for more opportunities to support local hunger-relief efforts.
In 2022, The Open Door distributed 1.78 MILLION pounds of food (1.48 MILLION meals) to 8,486 people from 4,872 households.
There’s a volunteer opportunity for everyone, from packing groceries to sorting thrift store donations at Second Glance. LEARN MORE.
The color used to raise hunger awareness, wear orange this month, ESPECIALLY on Hunger Action Day Friday, Sept. 15.
Order hunger action month specials at participating local restaurants!
- 1606 Restaurant & Oyster Bar will offer mango and blood orange sorbet, and a Naranja Nights cocktail.
- Brother’s Brew (reopening Sept. 14) will offer a special Hunger Action Month™ donut.
- Cake Ann will offer a special Hunger Action Month™ cupcakes.
- Duckworth’s Gloucester will provide a special Hunger Action Month™ menu item.
- Holy Cow (Gloucester location) will offer a Hunger Action Month™ ice-cream flavor starting on Hunger Action Day Friday Sept. 15 through the rest of the month at its Gloucester location
- Seaport Grille will offer a pumpkin cheesecake and creamsicle margarita.
- Turtle Alley will offer chocolate bars with the word “LOVE” embossed on them, wrapped in cellophane with an orange ribbon.
*A portion of proceeds will support hunger-relief programs of The Open Door
SHOP orange-themed goods at Second Glance, thrift store of The Open Door on WEDNESDAY, Sept. 13. Doors open at 9 A.M. Sales at Second Glance support the hunger-relief programs of The Open Door.
Rent a book from a Hunger Action Month display at the Sawyer Free Library, Hamilton-Wenham Public Library, Boxford Town Library, Manchester-by-the-Sea Public Library or T.O.H.P. Burnham Public Library.
take a yoga class
All classes at Treetop Yoga on Saturday September 23 will benefit programs of The Open Door!
shout out and thank you to the community partners helping us spread hunge awareness:
Gloucester Mayor Greg Verga will sign a proclamation naming September Hunger Action Month on Hunger Action DAY Sept. 15
Gloucester City Council will sign a proclamation naming September Hunger Action Month at their Sept. 12 meeting!
Gloucester City Hall will be lit up with orange lights ALL MONTH long
Gloucester Police Department Community Impact Unit will sport orange Hunger Action Month t-shirts this month
CORE Peer Recovery & Resource Center will sport orange Hunger Action Month t-shirts this month
Sudbay Automotive will hang a Hunger Action Month Banner and team members will wear orange Hunger Action Month t-shirts this month
Beauport Hotel will be lit up with orange lights all month long
However you choose to raise hunger awareness this month, THANK YOU!
Your kindness moves mountains, and connects local people to the groceries and meals they need.